ASTM/ASME A53/SA53 Seamless and Welded Standard Steel Pipe
Domestically produced welded and seamless steel pipe for general processing applications.
U. S. Steel Tubular Products ASTM/ASME A53/SA53 seamless and welded steel pipe is a general, all-purpose pipe used in generator plants, refineries, compressor stations, natural gas transmission, and steam conduction. It is acceptable for welding, flanging, and bending.
Our steel is locally sourced, developed and produced
which means our customers are assured of the highest quality standards and a local, concerned customer service presence invested in the success of your project. U. S. Steel has control over every step of the pipe manufacturing process, from melt to final product.
We manufacture our tubular products at several U.S.-based facilities that produce high-quality tubular products with low-residuals in a wide range of strength levels with superior toughness.
A53 Comparative Specifications
ASTM Specification A53 covers seamless and welded, black and hot-dipped galvanized nominal (average) wall pipe for coiling, bending, flanging and other special purposes and is suitable for welding. U. S. Steel Tubular Products does not produce galvanized pipe.
|Seamless and ERW
|Tensile Strength, min, psi
|Seamless and ERW
||C max %
||Mn max %
||P max %
||S max %
- Testing Requirements for seamless and welded API 53 steel pipe
- Hydrostatic Testing test pressures for plain and threaded and coupled pipe are specified. Hydrostatic pressure shall be maintained for not less than 5 seconds for all sizes of seamless and ERW pipe.
- Mechanical Tests:
- Tensile Test: Two transverse tests required on the ERW for NPS 8 and larger, one across the weld and one opposite the weld.
- Flattening Test: On ERW for NPS 2 and larger, STD and XS wall (not required for XXS pipe)
- Bending Test (cold): For NPS 2 and under, XS wall and under; for NPS 1-1/4 and under, XXS wall
||Degree of Bend
||Diameter of Mandrel
|For normal A53 users
||12 x nom. diameter of pipe
|For Close Coiling
||8 x nom. diameter of pipe
- Number of Tests: Seamless and Electric Resistance Weld (ERW) – bending, flattening, tensile on one length of pipe from each lot of 500 lengths, or less, of each pipe size.
- Permissible Variations for A53 steel pipe
- Wall thickness: The minimum wall thickness at any point shall not be more than 12.5% under the nominal wall thickness specified.
- Weights per foot are plus or minus 10%
- Outside diameter: Outside diameter at any point shall not vary from standard specified more than:
|1-1/2 and smaller
|2 and larger
- Lengths of A53 steel pipe
U. S. Steel Tubular Products A53 seamless and welded steel pipe is produced in random lengths 16’ – 22’ or 32’ – 44’, in multiple lengths, and in specific cut lengths.
- Marking Requirements
Rolled, die-stamped, ink-printed, or stenciled (manufacturer’s option).
- Manufacturer’s name, brand, or trademark
- Size and wall
- Steel grade
- ASTM A53
U. S. Steel Tubular Products A53 Seamless and Welded Steel Distributors
U. S. Steel Tubular Products are available through authorized distributors across North America. See our complete U. S. Steel Tubular Products Standard & Line Pipe Distributor list here.
U. S. Steel Certifications
U. S. Steel Tubular Products electric-welded and seamless pipe facilities meet the internationally recognized quality system requirements of ISO9001 and API Q1 and our seamless facilities hold PED certifications. See the complete list of U. S. Steel Tubular Products certifications.
For pipe sizes and grades not found in the section above, please contact U. S. Steel Tubular Products at 877-893-9461 with your inquiry.